Consumer Tax Incentives

Home Shell: Insulation, Windows, Sealing

What is the tax credit for existing homes?

Existing homes are eligible for a tax credit for a series of efficiency measures that pertain to the home envelope. The credit can amount to as much as 10% of the costs for a number of efficiency improvements, including increasing home insulation, replacing windows and doors, and sealing cracks in the building envelope of existing homes. The credit is capped at $200-500, varying with the type of equipment installed. This applies to any purchases made in 2012 and 2013.

Hey, I don't think I qualify for this incentive - where can I find information on state-level incentives?

What is eligible for the federal tax credits?

View IECC Climate Zones, and IECC 2009 R-values and U-factors for insulation, windows, and doors (PDF).

For more information on energy codes, visit the ICC Store, or The Green Destination: Essential Information for Green Building

Manufacturers and retailers should be able to help you tell whether a specific product qualifies.

What do I need to do to qualify for the incentives?

IRS rules require manufacturers to certify that specific measures are eligible. Homeowners should obtain a copy of this certification from the manufacturer, installer or retailer when buying these products. Certifications need not be submitted to the IRS, but should be kept on file in case the IRS has questions. Homeowners should also make notes on when each eligible measure is installed- measures "placed in service" in 2012 and 2013 are eligible.

To apply for the incentive, use IRS form 5695. Please note that this version of the form is for 2011.

Click here to access IRS guidance on qualifying energy-efficient property.

I don't think I qualify for the incentive - where can I find information on state-level incentives?

Where can I find out more about qualifying products?

Footer Image